Strontium works in the same way as calcium to boost healthy skeletal growth. In a well-stocked aquarium, levels of strontium are depleted by corals and other organisms. It's important to replenish these levels to maintain the health of your tank life.
Seachem Reef Strontium will restore these levels to those naturally found in sea water (around 8 - 10mg/L) It will also benefit the development of clams and other organisms that have a calcareous skeleton or shell.
This product contains high levels of strontium as a gluconate complex. This means it increases the absorption in the water to enable corals to consume it easily.
It doesn't contain any nitrogen or phosphates, so will not cause algae growth.
Directions for use:
- Use 1 capful (5 ml) per 80 L twice a week.
- Check strontium level, then follow dosing regimen above until strontium is adjusted to 8-12 mg/L. Each dose will raise strontium by about 0.6 mg/L.
- Size or frequency of dose can be adjusted.
- Thereafter, use as required to maintain strontium.
- After determining the strontium consumption rate, set up a continuous drip system.
- Use the following formula to determine how much to add to your top-off water: m=0.4vs (m=mL of product to add to top off water, v=volume of tank in US gallons, s=amount to raise strontium in mg/L).
- For example, if you want to raise strontium by 2 mg/L in a 50 US gallon tank, then you would add 0.4x50x2=40 mL into the top-off water.
Hints: Use the Reef Status: Strontium test kit to measure strontium.