Nitrite results during the degradation by bacteria of protein and ammonium. It is normally processed further into non-toxic nitrate. In aquarium and pond water nitrite (NO2) should not be measurable. If nitrate is measurable, it is a sign that the bacterial degradation process has been disturbed, and from a concentration of 0.4 mg/l it is dangerous or even fatal for fish, because nitrite blocks the transport of oxygen in the blood. This can be remedied by water changes and good bacteria starters, such as JBL Denitrol and JBL BactoPond.
For each water analysis JBL provides water tests in the form of quick tests or colour change tests. These determine a certain value or several values in one go. With these water tests you can recognise algae problems and negative nitrate, nitrite, potassium, magnesium values etc.
- Simple and reliable monitoring of the aquarium/pond water values. Checks the biological balance (bacterial activity) in freshwater and marine water.
- Laboratory comparative system to compensate any inherent water colouring: fill glass vials with sample water, add reagents to another vial, place vials in holder, read values on colour chart.
- When to use: when setting up a new freshwater aquarium: daily for 3 weeks. Initial setup with marine water: once a week. For use in case of fish diseases or fish deaths.
- Online Laboratory: free analysis and recommendations for the water values you have measured.
- Package contents: 1 quick test, Nitrite Test NO2. Contents for approx. 50 measurements. Incl. 2 reagents, 2 glass vials with screw cap, syringe, comparative block and colour scale. Refill ingredients available separately.
This test kit will be replaced by JBL Pro AquaTest NO2 Nitrite.