Ammonia is a by-product of fish waste, uneaten food and other debris and can lead to a rise in nitrites too. It can become a real problem for fish keepers if levels get too high.
Regular testing with the JBL Pro Aquatest NH4 will alert you to any potential problems. However, here are some visible signs of ammonia poisoning:
- Purple or red around gills.
- Fish lethargic or possibly lying at the bottom of tank.
- Gasping for air at the top of the tank.
Use a suitable ammonia remover to remedy this problem and keep your fish and tank healthy.
The Pro AquaTest NH4 contains a laboratory comparator system. To use, simply fill the glass vials with sample water, add reagents to one vial, place the vials in the holder and read values off the colour chart.
Usage: When setting up a new freshwater aquarium: once a day / Initial setup with marine water: once a week.
Box Contains: 1 quick test, ammonium test NH4 for approx. 50 measurements. Incl. 3 reagents, 2 glass vials with screw caps, syringe, comparator block and colour scale.
Recommended Ammonium Values:
- Freshwater aquarium (community aquarium): < 0.25 mg/l
- Lake Malawi/Lake Tanganyika aquarium: < 0.25 mg/l
- Plant aquarium with few fish (aquascaping): < 0.25 mg/l
- Marine aquarium: 0-0.25 mg/l
- Pond: <0.1 mg/l